Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote represent 2 very common educational leadership archetypes, which are you?
Wile E. Coyote
- Is so focused on a single goal with a single outcome, completely ignoring the bigger picture
- Relies on external entities (ACME) to solve internal issues
- Never thinks strategically
- Looks to short term solutions to long term problems
- Never prototypes or tests solutions before implementing them
- Is blind to the fact that what he has always down doesn’t work
- Tries to solve the problem without building a relationship
- Never looks to the future
- Has the bigger picture and is ready to respond to whatever challenges he faces
- Solves problems using his internal resources and capacity
- Seeks long term solutions to a long term problem
- Never stops working towards the high purpose (running) no matter what gets thrown at him
- Knows who he is working with and how to manage them
There are not only leadership lessons to be learnt from Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote but also team capacity building lessons. My aim this year is to build a team of Road Runners, that way no matter how many Wile E. Coyote we meet, we are ready to keep striving for the higher purpose of awesome student learning.