Bring your own ideas…

Those who follow me (and care) will have noticed I’ve been little quite online. But as I watch the ground swell of self-adulation, brand building and intellectual theft around “BYOD”, I have to say something…

Sadly nearly all BYOD programs will fail in the following years, because those dominating the discussion are more interested in their own agenda’s or preparing their PowerPoint for the next edu-conference.

What concerns me is the real “leaders” in this area are conveniently forgotten or maybe the edifying edu-conference presenters didn’t have time for the “bibliography” slide in their PowerPoint. If you are thinking BYOD then you must read Mal Lee’s work and more importantly, meaningfully reflected on the implications of Gary Stagers anti-BYOD dissection. You don’t have to agree with them, but you will fail if you dismiss them.

Me, BYOD/T is not my idea, I didn’t even like it in the beginning, but I stole it from Mal (Hat Tip) and thought meaningfully on Gary’s counter argument (Hat tip). So I’ve being running a BYOD class since the beginning of the year, I didn’t ask permission, write a policy or create a hastag. All I did was negotiate with my students what they could access and what they were prepared to bring to class every lesson.

This post is dedicated to the students who don’t read my blog. To the teachers and self promoters following me hoping to exploit their next “big idea”, if you want your BYOD policy to work; don’t write a policy, stop talking to non-teachers and tweeting about it. All you need to do is unite with your students, the people.

Let us all unite…

3 thoughts on “Bring your own ideas…

1. I was one of the first to comment at Mr Stager’s post. He seems to have it right when he says, “Of course teachers should welcome any object, device, book or idea a student brings to class that contributes to the learning process. Every thing a child brings to school in her heart, head or backpack is a potential gift to the learning environment. However, BYOD is bad policy that constrains student creativity, limits learning opportunities and will lead to less support for public education in the future.”

2. I, too have had the same concerns about the BYOD program. It is fairly new to my area of Mobile, Al. Although I have some concerns about the program, I was not sure why you felt so strongly about it. After reading both of the links you provided it made some valid points, some of which had never crossed my mind. It is definitely true that people don’t really WANT devices, which has always been my opinion. It is refreshing to know others agree. I have always had a concern with children having equal opportunity. I am glad that others, too, are realizing that BYOD does not give qual opportunities.Teachers will definitely be reluctant to actually letting the students use their device due to fear of something going wrong. Which once again can relect on unequal opportunity. I feel if educators and school systems work together, that could change. I have to say again how great the link “Gary Stagers anti-BYOD” is. It is great that you are trying out BYOD for yourself. Some of these opinions about the program could be wrong. Kinks may be fixed easier than imagined, or, you could find many more things wrong with the program.

3. I am new to the BYOD program, the first time I heard about this program was when I read your blog and the two links you provided. I feel that if teachers approach the BYOD program in a positive way others opinions about it might change. But i do agree with Gary Stagers anti BYOD dissection article when he said, “Cell phones are not computers! They may both contain microprocessors and batteries, but as of today, their functionality is quite different.” Most everyone these days are attached to their cellphone and if a cellphone is allowed in the classroom as a “device”, more than likely the student will not be working on the assignment they are supposed to be working on. However, I think it is awesome that you are teaching a BYOD class. You are learning as are your students, and that could be a good or bad thing. What it comes down to is the teacher being constructive and the students actually wanting to learn.